Originally constructed on the site, known to-day as Stonehenge, were a number of pits, which supported wooden totem-pole posts, erected between 8,500-7,000 BC.
Around 3,100 BC, a large Henge was constructed, comprising of a ditch, bank and fifty-six Aubrey holes (round pits cut into the chalk, with flat bottoms). They formed a circle some 284 feet in diameter.
Excavations at the site, have discovered human bones, but opinions believe these holes were not graves, but part of a religious ceremony. Saying that some sixty plus cremations have been discovered in the area.
Stonehenge was abandoned for some hundred years. Then life returned around 2,150 BC with the arrival of eighty-two bluestones from the Preseli Mountains in South Wales. These stones once erected created an unfinished double-circled circle. At the same time the original entrance was widened, to make way for a pair of Heel Stones, plus other stones being set up in the centre of the monument.
Around 2,000 BC Sarsen stones were brought from Marlborough Downs. These were arranged to create an outer circle with lintels. Inside the circle, five trilithons were placed in a horseshoe arrangement.
In 1,500 BC the bluestones were rearranged in a horseshoe and circle arrangement, consisting of some sixty stones. An earthwork Avenue was built, which connected Stonehenge with the River Avon.
In 1800-1500 BC, some digging took place around the stones of two concentric ring pits… the reason for these pits is unknown.
With Stonehenge built, and history ever changing, groups of barrows have been located on hilltops, which are visible from Stonehenge. Could it be a connection to Stonehenge for the dead?
Four Sarsen stones have been adorned with carvings of early historical weapons; axe-heads, daggers and axes. Was it a status of power to those visiting Stonehenge, or a connection to the graves on the nearby hillsides?